Advice and information for foreigners in Slovakia


Residence Family Reunion Marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreign national
Slovak (Slovakia)English (United Kingdom)Russian (CIS)
Marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreign national Print
A Slovak citizen may marry a foreign national in Slovakia or in a foreign country in front of that country's authorities. Marriages at Slovak diplomatic missions are currently possible only between Slovak citizens, i.e. Slovak citizens may not enter into marriage with a foreign national.

Entering into a marriage in Slovakia

A marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreigner is regulated by pertinent provisions of the Act on Family and the Act on Registry Offices. Granting permanent residence to a foreigner who has entered into marriage with a Slovak citizen is regulated by the Act on Residence of Foreigners (see article Permanent residence for the purpose of family reunion).

Marriage is entered into by a declaration of the fiancés about entering into a marriage in front of a municipal authority that runs a Registry Office, a registered Church or a clerical community authority, accompanied by two witnesses.

A wedding ceremony abroad

According to the Act on International Private and Procedural Law the procedure is determined by the law of the country in which the wedding ceremony takes place. Therefore it is necessary to inquire well in advance about the conditions and the documents you will need for a wedding in the foreign country of choice.

Marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreign national concluded with a competent authority in a foreign country is recognized in the Slovak Republic only if it is valid in the country where it was concluded and if there are no legal impediments regarding this marriage in the Slovak Republic (e.g. condition of age, monogamy issues etc.).

Confirmation about the legal capacity of a Slovak citizen to enter into a marriage union is issued by the competent Slovak Registry Office. A foreigner must be competent to enter into a marriage according to the law of his state of origin.

If you decided to have a wedding ceremony in the territory of the Slovak Republic or at the embassy of the Slovak Republic abroad, please read the following text about the requirements you have to fulfill.

What documents must be submitted before the wedding ceremony?
A foreigner is obliged to submit the following documents to the locally competent Registry Office not later than 14 days prior to the wedding ceremony:
  • birth certificate – this document shall include personal data of a foreigner - date and a place of birth as well as the personal data of his/her parents. If the birth certificate does not include personal data of both parents, the marriage certificate of the parents will be required;
  • a document which proves the legal capacity of the foreigner to enter into a marriage; such a document is an evidence of the fact, that there are no legal impediments which would prevent this person marrying – and must include: name, surname, date and a place of birth, citizenship, address of permanent residence, marital status, and and affirmation that the foreigner has a legal capacity to conclude a marriage pursuant to the legislation of the home country. (This information can be included in more than one document) This document will be issued by the Registry Office of the foreigner's country of origin or, in some countries, such documents can be issued by embassies;
  • proof of citizenship – valid passport;
  • proof of residence;
  • proof of marital status (see point no. 2);
  • death certificate of a deceased spouse – if the foreigner is widowed;
  • divorce decree – if the foreigner is divorced (or a court decision about the annulment of a previous marriage);
  • ID/passport.

Note: the documents mentioned above must be submitted at the locally competent Registry Office not later than 14 days prior to the wedding ceremony.
Documents 2. and 5. must not be older than 6 months.
Documents must be translated into Slovak by an official translator certified by the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic, translated documents must be signed by the certified translator and must include a round seal.
All documents shall be submitted to the locally competent Registry Office regardless of the place of the wedding ceremony. If any of the spouses does not speak or understand Slovak language, the presence of an official court interpreter is required at the wedding ceremony.
If submitting any specific document is hindered by an especially difficult obstruction, the Registry Office can accept its replacement with an affidavit of the couple.

A Slovak citizen shall submit:
  1. birth certificate
  2. proof of citizenship
  3. proof of address (permanent residence in Slovakia)
  4. death certificate of a deceased spouse – if he/she is widowed, or a divorce decree – if he/she is divorced person, or a court decision on an annulment of a previous marriage
  5. proof of a personal identification number (given to Slovak citizens at birth)

Note: Documents 2., 3., 5. can be substituted by submitting a valid identity card.
If a Slovak citizen has a permanent residence abroad, the following documents must be submitted as the document No. 2: 1) confirmation about his/her residence, issued by the competent authority of the given state; 2) Confirmation of his/her citizenship of SR may be substituted by submitting a valid passport issued by the Slovak Republic.

Besides above mentioned documents, before the wedding ceremony takes place, the couple shall fill out an official application form for the wedding ceremony; sometimes - because of serious obstacles - this can be done by only one of the fianceés.
According to the Act No. 145/1995 Coll. on Administrative Fees the following fees will be collected by the Slovak authorities:

Marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreigner: EUR 66
Marriage between two foreigners: EUR 165.50
If none of the spouses has permanent residence in the SR: EUR 199

Exemption: Persons, whose life is directly endangered and holders of a certificate of a person with serious health disability are exempt from the obligation to pay these administrative fees. The fees are paid by one of the fianceés only.

Application to Special Registry Office for the record of a recordable event (birth, marriage, death) which happened abroad: EUR 25 
Superlegalization of a foreign document at the Embassy for the purpose of its use in SR: EUR 20.00
Additional information can be found on these websites (in Slovak language):
A marriage with a foreigner - Svadba s cudzincom
A civil wedding - Civilný sobáš (


Kontakt / Contact us

Write to us....

Write to us



IOM Slovakia

Funded by the European Union.
The European Fund for the Integration
of Third-Country Nationals. Solidarity
and Management of Migration Flows.